Amajita on the back foot as Ghana win 2-0 in Senegal | TeamSA - TeamSA

Amajita on the back foot as Ghana win 2-0 in Senegal

South Africa’s national men’s Under-20 side lost their opening CAF African Youth Championships soccer match 2-0 to a physically superior Ghana in Saly, Senegal on a windy Monday afternoon to give an early initiative to the West Africans.
Amajita were forced to play almost the entire second half with 10 men after defender Aubrey Modiba was shown a second yellow card and a resultant red card for two reckless challenges.
Despite playing with a man short, South Africa played better soccer but found Ghana’s defence uncompromising.
Ghana started aggressively with Benjamin Tetteh causing some panic in the Amajita defence. His first touch resulted in a corner kick but Amajita immediately fashioned their own attack, getting a corner in the fifth minute.
But it was Ghana who looked menacingly dangerous in the opening minutes.
It came as no surprise when they took the lead in the eighth minute when Modiba pushed the ball past his own keeper following pressure from Ghana’s Prosper Kassim (1-0).
South Africa replied by launching their own attack moments after the goal and Pule Maraisane tested the Ghanaian keeper with a long range shot which goalkeeper Mutawakilu Seidu saved well.
The two-metre tall Tetteh was again left unmarked in the box in the 20th minute but his powerful shot was brilliantly saved by Dumsani Msibi.
Msibi then produced two great saves after the South African defence had been left in sixes and sevens, denying Ghanaians two clear opportunities.
In the 40th minute, Ghana’s Yaw Yeboah fired a close range free kick just wide of the stranded Msibi as Ghana chased for the second killer goal. Modiba unnecessarily brought down the Ghanaian striker, earning himself a yellow card.
Ghana then made it 2-0 a minute before the break through Benjamin Tetteh after the otherwise reliable Msibi had prematurely come out of his area. A desperate Ayabulela Magqwaka could not stop the ball from the line as the West Africans took the match by the scruff of the neck.
Soon after resumption, Modiba got his red card for a reckless challenge to effectively kill off any chance South Africa had of coming back into the game. It was an unnecessary challenge for a man who was already sitting on a first half yellow card.
Enjoying numerical advantage,Tetteh went on a tricky run but his effort was saved on the line by Magqwaka as the West Africans piled on the pressure.
Msibi once again came to the rescue of Amajita, tipping  Patrick Asmah’s long range effort over the bar and then came off his line to deny Abraham Attobrah.
As the match went on, South Africa threw everything into the attack in a bid to reduce the arrears but there was always the danger of being caught on a counter attack.
South Africa next meet Mali on Thursday in a match where they need to bounce back quickly.
South Africa (Amajita): Dumsani Msibi (goalkeeper), Kabelo Seriba, Ayabulela Magqwaka, Aubrey Modiba, Motjeka Madisha (Captain), Tlotlo Leepile, Pule Maraisane, Siyanda Ngubo, Thami Masiya, Siphelele Luthuli, Morne Nel
Substitutes: Sibongiseni Mkhize, Bongane Mathabela, Chaz Williams, Tebogo Moerane, Tyroane Sandows, Dumisani Zuma, Tshidiso Monamodi, Keamogetswe Boikanyo, Moegammad Domingo, Mpho Mathekga