Rio Olympics silver medal-winning rower Lawrence Brittain was named 2017 Gauteng Sportsman of the Year at the annual awards this week.
Brittain and Shaun Keeling won the men’s pairs in Rio last year.
Martial arts expert Tanita Ramburuth-Hurt won the Sportswoman of the Year award.
A total of 18 awards were made, including Sportsman/woman of the Year with a Disability which went to Paralympian tennis player Evans Maria and para-athlete Maria Combrinck who took part at the IPC Athletics World Championships in London earlier this year.
The full list of awards is:
• Sportsman of the Year – Lawrence Brittian – TUKS Rowing
• Sportswoman of the Year – Tanita Ramburuth-Hurt – Wits Sport
• Sports Team of the Year – Mamelodi Sundowns – Football
• Sportswoman of the Year with a Disability – Maria Combrink – CGSAPD Athletics
• Sportsman of the Year with a Disability – Evans Maripa – Wheelchair Tennis South Africa
• Sports Team of the Year with a Disability – Disability Sport Athletics Team – Athletics
• Coach of the Year – Pitso Mosimane (Mamelodi Sundowns) – Football
• Technical Official of the Year – Mpho Makhoba (Tennis South Africa) – Tennis
• Administrator of the Year – Gussie Bartlett (Eastern Gauteng Wrestling Association) – Wrestling
• Rand West City Most Promising Athlete of the Year – Sheldon Thomas (UJ Sport for Disability) – Athletics
• Most Promising Team of the Year – Gauteng Under-19 Girls Team – Wheelchair Basketball
• Journalist of the Year – Mbali Mokoko – Kaya FM
• School Sport Athlete of the Year – Mary Dzimba – Athletics
• Community Sport and Recreation Programme of the Year – In-Touch Community Support Group – Hockey and Football
• Community Media of the Year – Jozi FM
• Sports Programme of the Year (Public vote) – [email protected]
• Sports Fan of the Year (Public vote) – Mdevas Mokubela
• Sports Personality of the Year (Public vote) – Hlompho Kekana