Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Mali: Caster must not run

Ray Mali, interim administrator of Athletics South Africa, on Sunday again moved to emphasise that Caster Semenya remains unable to take part in competitions.

This follows more newspaper reports at the weekend that Semenya was planning to compete on the local track and field circuit, as well as international events.

“This disturbs me,” said SASCOC board member Mali Sunday. “I read a report quoting me as saying that Caster is eligible to compete. This is just not true and I wonder if there are some or other forces out there trying to be mischievous?”

Reigning world 800 metre champion Semenya is still awaiting results of her gender tests and the governing body of international athletics, the IAAF, are dealing with her directly.

When the IAAF has consulted with Semenya and advised her on the tests, the way forward will be clearer.

Late last year SASCOC suspended ASA chairman Leonard Chuene from office, and later the ASA board as well, following their handling of the Semenya affair.

“Things are going so well with SA track and field right now that the last thing we need now is to have false information doing the rounds,” said Mali.

“We will await news from the IAAF and in the meantime go about the rebuilding of South African track and field.”