Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Steyn stays unbeaten

By Mark Etheridge

Andrea Steyn remains unbeaten after four legs of the BSG-Energade triathlon series while Richard Murray and Erhard Wolfaardt are now level at two wins a piece.

This after the fourth leg of the series was done and dusted at a windy Midmar Dam in KwaZulu-Natal on Sunday.

Murray won the first leg of the series at Roodeplaat Dam but missed the second at Hartebeespoort as he was away in Mexico where he came second in a World Cup event. That saw Wolfaardt win in Hartebeespoort as well as his home town of Potchefstroom where Murray had a flat and was unable to finish.

Sunday saw Murray clocking 56min 31 for the three-phase event. Henri Schoeman was quickest out of the water with Murray, Wolfaardt and Abrahm Louw were together around 40 seconds back.

The bike leg saw the last three basically ending together and everything came down to the 5km run where Murray made his mark.

He clocked 16min 31sec for the run compared to 17:05 for Wolfaardt and 17:48 for Louw. That meant that Murray had a combined time of 56min 31sec ÔÇô 35sec quicker than Wolfaardt and a further 41sec quicker than Louw.

Steyn once again proved in a class of her own in this event, proving that that her injury woes earlier this year are something of the past. She clocked 65:26 for the win as Carlyn Fischer ended second in 66:31.

The result was a reversal of the All Africa Games triathlon event in Mozambique last month. Third place went to Carla van Huyssteen in 67:05.

“The wind was terrible here in Midmar,” said Steyn afterwards, “so it was a very hard run. I had a great swim and then all the girls were together on the bike. I managed to break away at about 5km in to the bike. Kate [Roberts] had a problem with her handlebars and dropped off the chasing bunch (Carlyn, Lauren Dance and Carla). So I ended up having a 45-sec lead into T2 transition. That meant I could relax on the run and I’m very happy with my win.”

Roberts was turning out for the first time in this series after an up and down year on the international circuit where she was bugged by illness and injury. Sunday’s problem was handlebars that weren’t tight enough and she battled to steer during the bike. “It was frustrating but I was pleased with my swim and run and can feel the Katie of old is returning.”